SusanSalutations

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Look who I was able to photograph in my front yard yesterday


This White Cheeked Honeyeater was sending out distress signals yesterday, so much so that she attracted not only every person in my house, but my old ginger tabby cat, about half a dozen other pairs of birds and of course her own mate. The poor thing had lost a little chick that seemed to have fallen from its tree and broken itself beyond repair. This little bird was defending her chick in the bravest fashion, bluffing every living thing within 5 metres (approx 5 yards, imperial) of her chick by dive bombing within a few inches of them and running across the ground while dragging her wing to lure the sun drenched soporific old cat away (her attempts didn't work on the cat. Neither did the cat seem aware of the dead chick). One of us lifted the dead baby bird from the lawn and placed it on a high bush within range of the mama bird so she could feel safer defending it from there until she realised it was all futile. I was touched by her tenacity. She stayed there most of the rest of the day. Today she came back again, but she wasn't so defensive.


She sure is a beautiful bird.


8 comments:

Jennie Skaggs said...

What a gorgeous bird. I am sorry to hear she had a chick die. Jennie

Lee said...

Oh she's a STUNNING bird!!! I just love birds!!! And I got too sad reading about her chick, I know it's the cycle of life...but it's not a happy one. I'm pathetic, I know! Poor little mama bird! I hope she can have a new nest soon!!

Chriss Rollins said...

a sad story and in the birds world it would be like one of us losing a child.
the mum is so beautiful, birds just seem to be the fashion of art and crafting at the moment and your photo is gorgeous.
chriss x

Paula J Atkinson said...

Fantastic photo, isn't she beautiful.

Chrissie said...

What a beautiful photo Susan... you are very lucky to have such wildlife in your backyard.

Andrea C (Frog) said...

Lovely Susan i wish we had some exotic birds in our garden.

Andrea xx

My Paper World said...

Awwww! poor little chick! It's a beautiful photo Susan! xx

AJ said...

Oh what a sad story. :( But she is such a beautiful bird and so valiant. Lovely picture. :)