SusanSalutations

Monday, February 09, 2009

Black Saturday in Australia


Everyone here seems to be in shock. Victoria is experiencing the worst bush fires in living memory. The death count is horrible - 131 are dead today and more than 700 houses are burnt, and whole communities have been wiped out. The fires are still raging.

Up North where I used to live, vast areas are covered in flood waters and the monsoonal rain is still coming down. Flood waters have receded a little but they still have roads cut and supplies are not getting through. There are loads of people being evacuated, but no deaths known up north. A little five year old boy is missing, presumed taken by a crocodile though.

I am safe. I am living about half way between the disasters, in comfort. I do have friends and relatives in both the north and the south, and they are also safe.

Thank you for your concern. My heart goes out to the victims and the people left with nothing. One couple were rescued clutching a burnt photo album between them, and they have nothing else....

2 comments:

Lee said...

OMGosh Susan!!!! I feel so out of touch as I just haven't been keeping up with any news!! I'm so sorry to hear this and will keep all of you in prayer!!

Suzanne said...

Thank you so much for checking in Susan. I have been so worried about you not knowing exactly where in Australia you were. I pray that your family and friends that are in harms way stay safe as do you and your DH.