SusanSalutations

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Faux Velvet Technique

It's been awhile since I tried a new technique. Then along came the Australian Cardmaking, Stamping and Papercraft Magazine with their faux velvet technique and I was off to my craft room to experiment :) The result is soft, subtle and makes paper look like fabric! I liked the technique so much I used it at this month's crafty class. The cards everyone made were so pretty.

See what you think:


Here's my tutorial for how to make the faux velvet background, of course :)

After I made the soft and subtle background, I started thinking about how to make soft accents for the card itself. I had some velvet ribbon to add, some pretty border embossing with my edgelits, and then I remembered I knew how to make faux suede! I made the little flower accent with that technique:



Then I softened the edges of the Cherry Cobbler cardstock with my distressing tool.

All supplies used on this card are from Stampin' Up! Some are current, some are retired, so if you want anything used to make the card here, just ask about ordering. Supply list is as follows:

Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White and Old Olive cardstock (all current) (love the Confetti Cream cardstock too but it is retired).
Black embossing powder (current)
White Stazon ink (retired)
Versamark (current)
Flower brads (current)
Velvet ribbon (retired)
Parlor Prints stamp set (current)
Retired vintage style flower and leaf stamps
Basic Gems pearl (current)
Sentiment from a retired stamp set too
Needlepoint Border Textured Impressions embossing folder (current)




No comments: